15 Feb 2011

Portacath, skin biopsy done today.

Today’s procedures went well, no problems. Yesterday I saw Dr. Bajaj and he postponed my first chemo session until next Wednesday, because he said I probably would be sore tomorrow and it would be a pretty long day again (half a day or so).

Shelby spent the night with me last night, which was a good thing because we had to be at the hospital at 5 AM! They called me after I went to bed last night to say to be there at 5:00, not 6:30, some sort of clerical error. We joined a line of folks at OP registration at 5:00, some in their pajamas. We went to a little room, I got into a long hospital gown, a nurse took my vital signs, and we watched TV and read for what seemed like a long time, considering they’d told us to be there so early. After about an hour they came to transport me to the OR holding area.

Since I was also having a skin biopsy of a spot on the left breast, they decided to put me to sleep. That suited me fine, actually. The anesthesiologists (Dr. Bobo and Dr. Heckathorne) came into the holding room and talked to Shelby and me and Dr. Bobo started an IV. After looking over my bruised-up arm, he found a spot on the inside of my wrist to use and was very careful, having no problems getting it started. He gave me a dose of Versed and the next thing I knew, I was waking up in the recovery room.

Here’s some information on the Bard Power Port that was implanted:

Informative websites:

At some point (after I was asleep) they discovered that I am probably allergic to Levaquin, a routine IV antibiotic they use during surgery, because my arm started turning red. They discontinued it and told me afterwards to add it to my allergy list. I’ve had it before in pill form with no problems. Weird reaction. The redness went away completely when they stopped it so I didn’t see it, not sure what it actually looked like. I need to ask Dr. Sonfield.

I’ve found out by doing a little googling today that this class of drugs (fluoroquinolones) have a wide variety of side effects, some very serious, long-lasting and potentially deadly. No more of them for me!

I also had an echocardiogram done while there, just before being discharged. Sherry Gibson, one of the echo techs, used to go to First Pentecostal Baptist Church with me. She’s been there 24 years now and is very good. She explained what they were doing, what we were seeing on the screen, etc. The cardiologist will read it and send Dr. Bajaj the report today.

We left McLeod about noon, stopped by McDonald’s drive-through for some lunch to bring home and I’ve been reading and watching TV. Friday came into the living room while Shelby was there and let her pet him a little bit, so I guess he’s finally decided she’s okay. Shelby went over to the office about 2:30 or so and will be back in a little while to check on me but I’m fine. The little incisions don’t hurt at all. My right shoulder joint is sore, though, maybe from the way that arm was positioned on the table in the OR. Tylenol is taking care of it, although I have a Rx for pain pills (Lortab) if I need them. Right now I don’t.

So, that’s it as of now. A week off to heal, etc. until chemotherapy starts.


3 Responses to “15 Feb 2011”

  1. 1 Diane Brown
    February 19, 2011 at 7:10 pm

    Bette thank you for letting me know about this battle. Remembering that the “battle is the Lord’s” ! We stand in His authority and see how Faithful is our Mighty God!
    Much love!

  2. February 23, 2011 at 4:15 am

    Hi Bette; it’s been a long day for me too…I just had a port-a-cath “installed” this morning at 8am (after registering at 6:30, know what you mean there too). I am scheduled to see the chemo doctor tomorrow morning then start treatments of chemo and radiation. I have anxiety issues so am really hoping it’s not put off a week, it’s been hard enough getting to this point. My daughter, Ashley, who has been by my side since day one, spoke with my nurse today who informed her treatments may be postponed a week, but maybe not, either way she hadn’t told me this knowing how anxious I am already. Long story, but either way tomorrow will be productive just getting to talk to the doctor and discuss all the scan and MRI reports/findings. As a personal note, I am a 34 year thyroid cancer survivor (age 13). I have now been diagnosed with stage IIIB lung cancer. I have an amazing faith and have shared countless conversations with God. I can’t wait to find out what my mission for Him will be with this “adventure”. I appreciate reading your blog and have bookmarked it. Good luck (so not the words), but I hope you know what I mean. Lorrie

    • February 23, 2011 at 11:35 am

      Lorrie, thanks so much for writing. Yes, I do know what you mean by Good luck – be blessed! Waiting a week has been a good thing in my case, because the portacath site is still a bit sore, 7 days after insertion. My first chemo session is this morning and I’ll be writing about that, probably later today. John 10:10, Lorrie! Hope you’ll write again. Bette

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog Stats

  • 2,642 hits

Bette’s Journal

Bette Cox 2010

Christ is the "Big C" in my life!

That was told to me by a good friend recently, and it's so very true.

Jesus says in John 10:10, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

I believe Jesus. I hope you do too.

I have one request of other believers reading this journal:

Agree with me that the invader will shrink, shrivel, die and disappear from my body, whatever method the Lord uses to accomplish that.

Thanks in advance.


%d bloggers like this: